Larry Pearce Education Award
The CRHNet “Larry Pearce Education Award” is presented annually to deserving post-secondary students from across Canada. This competitive award is offered by the CRHNet membership to encourage disaster risk management research in Canada and to help defray the educational expenses incurred by students.
Number and Value of Awards: Three awards are offered annually. The top-ranked place recipient receives $1000, the second ranked recipient receives $750, and the third ranked recipients receives $500. Award winners are announced at the annual fall CRHNet Symposium and winners will be profiled in HazNet, CRHNet’s signature publication.
Eligibility: To be eligible to receive this award the applicant must:
- Be a registered student in a disaster or emergency management related program offered by an accredited Canadian post-secondary educational institution
- Be a registered student in a disaster or emergency management related program offered at an accredited international post-secondary educational institution AND who is studying Canadian disasters or Canadian disaster management.
Deadline: September 21
Selection: All applications will be adjudicated by the five-member CRHNet Awards Committee against the posted eligibility and award criteria. Applications will be assessed based on the applicant’s academic achievement, Work experience (voluntary or paid), publications and presentations, demonstrated leadership or leadership potential, and two letters of reference.
Award Notification: Successful applicants will be notified by September 22 of the award decision. We thank all applicants for their interest in this award.
Award Acceptance: Awards must be accepted or declined by September 30 of the year in which the award is given.
Application Instructions: Applicants must demonstrate their commitment and/or contribution(s) to an area related to disaster risk management in their application package which is to be submitted by email to the Award Coordinator listed below. Please ensure your e-mailed submission identifies “CRHNet Larry Pearce Education Award” in the subject line, and includes the following documents in Word or PDF formats:
- Completed Larry Pearce Education Award Application Form, which can be found here,
- Current Curriculum Vitae (CV),
- Brief biography (max. 250 words),
- Two letters of reference, and
- Abstract of any poster or paper being presented at the fall Symposium (max. 250 words)
Past Award Winners
2016 - Montreal:
First Place: Faraz Hasan (Muhammad Syed), Univ. of Victoria;
Second Place: Catherine Kenny, York University;
Third Place: Zalma Sahar, York University
2015 - Calgary:
First Place (Shared): Jithamala Caldera, University of Calgary;
First Place (shared): Arshad Khan Khalafazi, University of Alberta;
Third Place: Bettina Falloon, Royal Roads University